Monday, August 20, 2012

Peaches and Ice Cream Deliciousness.

Turns out that one of the upsides of the massive drought the country has faced this summer is that our peaches are sweeter. Counter-intuitively, the less water they get, the juicier they are when they ripen. And what is better than a ripe, juicy peach on a perfect summer afternoon? 

This, my friends. This:

I'm jealous of my past self in this picture for being about to enjoy this ice cream.
Homemade vanilla ice cream topped with sweetened peaches.  I only get it once a year, at the flea market held annually by the church I grew up in, which happens to be an adorable country church notable for its red roof.


The flea market is the only fundraiser the church does during the year, with the exception of passing the plate on Sundays, and it is quite a big to-do. Almost a hundred vendors pack into the little church lot, and there's pit beef, hot dogs and of course, the ice cream and peaches that people stop in for specially, even if they have no interest in the market itself. Since I was little, it's been my job to ladle the peaches onto the ice cream that my mother had dipped.


My grandmother enjoying her ice cream.

And my dad doing the same.
This year, I still served up peaches, but next to me was my brother, making good use of the muscle he's put on since he's grown up. I got to hang out with my parents, my grandparents, great aunt and uncle, cousins, second cousins, etc. (it's a little country church and we're all related, ok? I'm ok with it), spend the day outside on the very first day that the humidity broke, and stuff myself with ice cream. So you know, it was a pretty awesome Saturday.

My great-aunt and myself.

My mama directing traffic. Excitedly.

Family friends hamming it up.
We also took the kittens to their first vet appointment. We got some news there which I will be posting about tomorrow.

 Linking up! Check out the other blogs at the link and make some new friends. Welcome anyone from the link-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment