Monday, August 13, 2012

My weekend was great, thanks for asking!

Had an awesome awesome weekend. We FINALLY got a bit of a break in the heat (which is not to say it was cool. There is a difference) and took the chance to go down to Harper's Ferry, West Virginia, where my parents happened to be camping for the weekend.

Harper's Ferry, in case you didn't know, is a National Park, the site of quite a lot of history, including three Civil War battles and John Brown's raid. Also, the town itself is adorable.







We hiked the Maryland Heights Trail. Let me tell you, it made me feel really out of shape. It's only 2.8 miles, but it is up the side of a mountain, and there were several points where I thought I might die. The view from the lookout, however, is pretty fantastic.

Harper's Ferry from Maryland Heights. Looks like a little model train town.

Much, much needed rest.



The river looked so very inviting and I was drenched in sweat and felt disgusting so I did something I don't know that I've done before: stripped down to my sports bra and waded in.


The water was warm and it felt delicious. I did, however, jump in the chlorinated pool at the campground when we got back to kill whatever I had picked up from the river.

Speaking of the river, it is very popular with tubers. See below:


Can you see the tubers? They're there.

And I was very seriously thinking I would like to go tubing there sometime until I got to work this morning and my coworker informed me that several years ago she was tubing in that very spot and ran into something with her tube. That something was A DEAD COW.


Via

I mean, I'd still go tubing. But seriously. I'll be much more wary of dead cows now.

Still, we got to spend the rest of the evening eating, sitting by the campfire, making s'mores and watching a man try to park his tractor-trailer sized RV in a compact car sized spot. Ah, the joys of recreational campgrounds.



Sunday we ran errands and got ready for the week. I'd say that the weekend was the perfect combination of relaxation, working out, family and productivity. Rare in a weekend, don't you think?

Plus, the week is off to a great start as I got to begin my Monday by helping open up an exhibit case to remove an object for photography. Always a fun time, at least for me ;)

Happy Monday! Also, if you're posting about your weekend, why not link up?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, rare in a weekend, indeed! Looks like such a great weekend! Happy Monday!

    Christa
    http://christawaldrop.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome! I am a sucker for history so add that to a great view and I'm all about it! Sounds/looks like a great weekend...aside from the co-worker's dead cow story :O

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting! Harper's Ferry is definitely a great combination of history, recreation, shopping and food. Something for everyone (unless you're a curmudgeon who doesn't like any of the above. Then too bad for you).

      Delete
  3. What a great weekend! That place is so cute!!!

    Stopping by (a little late) from the linkup! :)

    Christina at Easily Entertained

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. And I understand that it takes a long time to look at all the great blogs that link up! I'll be sure to check out yours as well.

      Bethanee

      Delete