Monday, August 6, 2012

My uncle, who lives in India.

We all have leaves in our family tree who seem to blow off in different directions than the rest. In mine, that leaf is my father's brother, K. In his early twenties, he quit college and joined the transcendental meditation movement (TM). He is now in his fifties and living in an ashram. In the Himalayan mountains. In India. Now, I'm not one to judge others' paths in life, I'm just saying I wouldn't take this particular path. In any case, every few years he'll come home for a few months, bearing lots of little trinkets to give away and stories to tell. This weekend my father, brother and I went to visit K and my grandmother, with whom he is staying, on the Eastern Shore, about 2.5 hours from our home.

My dad playing with the kitties before we left. He's allergic, but even he can't resist their cuteness.
 
View from my grandmother's deck. Very hazy. It was about 100 degrees, 95 percent humidity. Or something close to that.
I spent Saturday shopping at the outlets with my grandmother (and picked up an awesome denim J. Crew dress for cheap that I can't wait to wear later this week), hanging out and watching the Olympics with the fam. My uncle, who explained to us that his day at the ashram includes about 2 hours of Hatha yoga and 8 or more hours of meditation (clearly he has a lot of patience. I could never sit still for that long), led us in a quick yoga practice.


My brother, B, and Uncle K in the makeshift yoga studio.
We only stayed for one night, and on the long drive back my dad poked me and gestured behind him. I turned around to find this:

His head was flopping around like a rag doll.
Riding off into the sunset.

Sunday after church I was finally able to get in some quality time with B and the kitties. It feels like every weekend has been full of activity lately with almost no time to just be and soak up life. This coming weekend I'm hoping to be able to go camping with my parents and escape from the hectic pace I feel like I've been following lately.


Everybody napping.


We rounded out the afternoon watching the Olympics, which thankfully inspired some willpower in me to resist eating the candy I had placed in front of me. And has me chomping at the bit to hit the gym this afternoon. Hope that feeling lasts through my workday!










five30three  I linked up! Visit five30three, Sami's Shenanigans or Join the Gossip to join or read other bloggers' weekend updates.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you got to visit your uncle! I don't think
    I could handle all that still time for meditation either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely get wiggly. Also-nice name! (Mine's Bethanee, if I didn't make that clear, lol).

      Delete