Friday, August 10, 2012

It's Friday, I've...lost that loving feeling.

She's lost that loving feeling. She's lost...? No she hasn't. Yes she has. She has not lost that lo-Goose, she's lost it. Mav-Come on. Aw sh-I hate it when she does that. S**t.

I woke up in a foul mood this morning. It was raining, it was dark, and I just wanted to go back to sleep. I couldn't summon the energy to put on any make-up and I'm wearing yoga pants that, while closely approximating dress pants, are basically sweatpants. I almost missed my train and had to run through the rain, clonking about in my giant yellow rain boots (which, I will admit, is preferable to wet feet, which I've learned the hard way). People on the train were having a loud conversation, which is their right, but HELLO, people are trying to sleep here. I tried valiantly to remember that there was no reason why they couldn't have a loud conversation other than the fact that I was trying to sleep and they were the only ones in the entire car talking. But I was still irrationally annoyed. People were pushing and shoving on the Metro, like they always do, but today it was particularly irritating. I just wanted to get to my desk and have my oatmeal and coffee. Until then, I don't really want to talk to you, and I certainly don't appreciate the invasion of my personal space that occurs on a daily basis on public transportation.

When I got in my coworker had her head down on her keyboard. I said "Morning" and she said "Meh" and I could tell that it wasn't just me who was in a funk. I decided to be proactive and asked what we could do to make the day better. Her immediate reaction was, "Cupcakes!" And so we planned to procure some of these babies for the office:


Chocolate Sundae from Crumbs Bake Shop.

Crumbs Bake Shop, with locations in NYC, DC, LA and Chicago has AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS cupcakes in really fun flavors. However, their cupcakes are huge, pack a lot of calories and cost about 4 bucks. I had a sneaking suspicion that getting one would just make me feel guilty and not any better.

But you know what is mood lifting, free, and actually burns calories? SOUL DANCE PARTY. Sometimes here at the office we like to have "Motown Friday" using the aptly named "Motown Channel" on Pandora. We cranked it up and took a 2 minute break to dance like fools and I gotta admit, I feel better. I also feel incredibly virtuous that I turned down the cupcake opportunity, because if you know me, you know I love cake. Dear goodness do I love cake. Icing especially. A good butter cream or cream cheese icing will send me into raptures and I WILL stab you with a fork if you try to taste from my plate. B has been shocked by the vehemence with which I will defend my cake.

Anyway, I seem to have somewhat restored my loving feeling, though it's only 10:30 a.m. so we'll see how long that lasts. Something else that helped? Our new office decorations:



Only recommended for offices with a sense of humor. The best part is that these are actual, historic places. Dismal Nitch is the last campsite Lewis and Clark made before they saw the Pacific Ocean (apparently it rained and was horrid) and Cape Disappointment is where they reached the ocean, though they didn't name it (I'm pretty sure they weren't disappointed to finally get to their destination...even though they had to turn around and go all the way back to DC). So they're appropriate for our office in all manner of ways. Our two offices will hereafter be known as "Cape Disappointment" and "The Dismal Nitch".

Happy weekend everybody. And Happy 165th Birthday Smithsonian Institution!

No comments:

Post a Comment