Thursday, August 16, 2012

It was Julia Child's 100th birthday yesterday.

And while I'm not sure I understand the idea of throwing a "surprise party" for a deceased person (sorry Julia) as the museum did yesterday, I did appreciate the cake they had.



See that cake? The sheet part was about the size of four normal sheet cakes together. Then there was this whole wedding cake thing in the center. The woman cutting the cake is Julia Child's niece, who happens to have an awesome, literary-sounding name: Philadelphia Cousins. She wrote a touching blog about her memories of her aunt and her famous kitchen here. 

I took a piece of cake adorned with a white rose, because as you may or may not know I have a love affair with cake and icing in particular. Thus, the rose provided the maximum amount of icing per slice of cake. Philadelphia exclaimed, "Oh good, you took a rose! Do you know how much butter is in this cake?"

Now, I already feel bad about how much I love cake. I know it's bad for me, and since I'm continually trying to lose about 5-10 lbs. I shouldn't be eating it. So did I want to know how much butter was in the cake? Absolutely not. Let me eat my cake blissfully unaware of what I am doing to myself, please.

So I replied, "Do I want to know?" and she said "25 pounds". Twenty-five pounds. Of butter. Now, I don't know how many pieces of cake they were able to cut, so I don't know what the ratio of butter per slice was, but I do know it was more than I should've eaten in a day. However, that cake was damn good.


As you can see above, we are all enjoying it very much. So screw the butter. The other great thing about this "surprise party" was that they let us all out on the rooftop deck of the museum to eat it. Even though the day was a bit gray, the view is always fantastic.


The Capitol way in the back there.
 
Washington Monument.
 
National Mall and Dept. of Agriculture.

National Mall and Smithsonian Castle.

Now if I can only eat healthy today and get to the gym tonight so I don't feel so guilty about that cake...

No comments:

Post a Comment