Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen



I finished Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen on the train home yesterday. It was depressing, to say the least. And yet the storyline was gripping, and I kept reading, hoping some redemption would be in store for the suffering characters. But there was none.  Now, unfortunately that's pretty historically accurate (most of the suffering comes from family members' deaths and thwarted love affairs, typical for the time), but this is fiction, and I'd like some happiness at some point.  Otherwise I'd be reading nonfiction, which is where I go when I want to read depressing truths.  So while the book was compelling, it was a disappointing ride and will not be entering my re-read rotation.  Throw a reader a bone, Ms. Koen-can't someone find happiness?

No comments:

Post a Comment