Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cookie Bar Misadventures


Via Sweetpea's Kitchen
 I made these cookies and cream bars for a bridal shower at work. Or shall I say, I attempted to make these cookies and cream bars for a bridal shower at work. I'd never made them before, but I love cookies and cream and they only had three ingredients (marshmallows, Oreos and butter) and required no baking. How hard could it be? I gleefully crushed up and entire bag of Oreos by taking out my aggression on them while they were in a plastic bag (the recipe called for a food processor, which I don't own, but I'm nothing if not resourceful), then melted the 5 cups of marshmallows the recipe called for and poured the Oreos in.  As B was mixing them up (because he has much more upper body strength than I do and is willing to do these things for me, and partially because we're just starting out in life and have yet to own a mixer), it became clear that the ratio of Oreo to marshmallow was heavily off.  He poured it into the pan and it sat there, a glob of marshmallow with Oreo bits strewn here and there, resfusing to spread to the corners of the pan and look like the picture above.  It was then that I discovered that, in trademark fashion, I had not been paying attention and had in fact used a 2-cup measuring vessel for the marshmallows, resulting in 10 cups of marshmallows rather than 5.  I became irrationally upset over this because I felt I had wasted a package of Oreos and two packages of marshmallows and I hate to waste things, and also because I had no contribution to the bridal shower if these failed.  B's brilliant scientific mind realized that if I simply purchased a second package of Oreos we could remelt the original morass and add them in, and none would be the wiser.  I was hesitant only because I worried I would screw that up to and the only result would be a second wasted package of Oreos.  But I decided to trust him, and the next night we repeated the entire procedure, and you know what?  It half worked.  What I ended up with still looks nothing like the picture above (I commend you, lady of Sweet Peas Kitchen, for getting your cookie bars to look so neat and delicious), in fact the people at work described them as lava rocks.  It was still so sticky that I couldn't cut it and ended up pulling it apart with my (clean) hands, forming it into something resembling a rectangle and calling it a day because damnit, I wasn't going to waste them and I needed something for that bridal shower.  They tasted great though.  If you didn't mind having to chew a lot and possibly risking losing a filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment