Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cures for Feeling Sorry for Yourself

Yesterday I was feeling really down. Stuck on the ladder of life, if you will. Went to sleep, had weird dreams and woke up feeling even more down. It is also the kind of hot today where sweat rolls down your back from just standing outside, and that's never happiness-inducing. But now I'm feeling better, and I will share with you my secrets for lifting one's mood.

1. Dress like Minnie Mouse, or at the very least wear something that makes you happy.


When I saw this Minnie-style skirt on ModCloth I had to have it.
2. Remember that you can't do everything, but you can do something. Walking out of my apartment this morning, I noticed that both sides of the road were covered with newspaper pages. A football field's worth of road looked like the newspaper man had gotten very, very upset, torn up his newspapers and thrown them out the window. And I was all, this is awful, who is going to have to clean this up? And then I realized that, while I couldn't clean up the whole stretch of road, I could pick up some of the papers that lined my route to the train. It made me feel good to have at least done something, even though it didn't come close to solving the problem, rather than perpetuating it by ignoring it.

3. Get yourself some good coffee. Sugar and caffeine are great mood boosters. They also make me a little manic, which my coworkers enjoy.

On the suggestion of Julie at Peanut Butter Fingers, I tried a misto. Liked that it was cheaper than my usual fancy drink of choice, but I should've added a flavored shot. Next time.

4. See a poster about sending aid to refugees and remember that you have been incredibly blessed compared to much of the world. Realize you are being selfish by feeling sorry for yourself and feel grateful for all that you do have.



Not the poster I saw, but it makes the point. Via
  And then you can go on about your day with the appropriate attitude. Any other mood-boosting suggestions?

Addendum: God is really trying to tell me something today. Came across this and it gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling that people are, in general, good at heart, and that we are all in this life together. The best things we can do are help each other out every now and then and put a smile on someone's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment