Monday, September 17, 2012

What weekends are for.

This weekend was absolutely fabulous. Saturday after I got my beauty sleep (this is key to weekend happiness) we took a stroll down a winding mile or so trail that leads to an old mill town by the river.


Just last month two girls were killed when a train overturned as they sat on the edge of this trestle bridge (not a recommended activity, btw. Best to stay away from train tracks in general, as a rule) and its load of coal was dumped on top of them. Today there is barely any trace of the accident. How quickly we move on, though those girls' families lives were changed forever.

Up the hill from the bridge is a little cafe called Bean Hollow. When we take the trail B and I like to grab a table and a coffee and just people watch for a little while. It's always an eclectic group: older couples, new, teenage couples, parents with their kids decked out in soccer gear, a couple of motorcycle riders. It feels comforting that we all partake in this little ritual together, though our lives are so different. Maybe the world would be a better place if we all had time to sat down and had coffee together...


Spiced Caramel Apple Latte

B and a Maple Bar Mocha.

B opened a small drawer in the table we were sitting at and found an awesome cache of napkins on which people had written notes. Kind of like a local Post Secret. Napkin Secret. Some were sweet, some were silly, and some were heartrendingly sad. It was such a fun little find (though I declined to add my own napkin. I don't need strangers reading my secrets).

Saturday night was a rare date night. B picked the restaurant, the only qualification being that it have outdoor seating, since it was absolutely gorgeous here in Baltimore this weekend (high 70s, no humidity, a rarefied event). It was an Irish pub in Harbor Place, a mall/open air plaza right on the water, and the best part about it was the view (since, to be honest, the food was so/so and the service not so great).





View of the Constellation from our table.

There was a band down below us and people were dancing. It was another moment where I felt in connection with everyone around me, all of us enjoying the simple pleasures of a warm night and free music down by the harbor. After dinner we got Rita's, for which we had a coupon for buy one get one free, which made it even more delicious than usual, if that is possible. I know they're going to close soon and I am sorely disappointed. I do believe that they should let the indoor locations remain open year-round. I'd eat that business in the dead of winter.


B's Blue Moon and my Dark and Stormy

Watchin'

Dancin'
Sunday was for church, a loooong nap, and a skating session that was sorely needed after a couple of weeks off. I'm determined that this will be the week I finally defeat the last of the fleas hanging on to Truman and Tesla. You are on notice, fleas. Beware. Oh, also, my shows start coming back! Bones and Big Bang Theory I know start this week. Especially excited for Big Bang.

Now I'm just trying to start the week off on a good foot with some hot tea and a link up with these fine folks:

      Photobucket                                   

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing a little peek into your life with us. You are a great writer! I love feeling a connection with people that have all gathered for the same thing and are all enjoying the same thing. It's an amazing feeling! Kind of zen like. Thanks for linking up with us. Come back every other Monday ;) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting! I just discovered your blog and link-up and look forward to connecting with you and the other bloggers who participate :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like such a great weekend. That napkin idea is so interesting! I love the Inner Harbor. We visited a few years ago on our road trip to NC. Ate the most amazing breakfast at Ms. Shirley's!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I've never been to Ms. Shirley's, but I loooove me a good breakfast, so I'll put it on my to-do list!

      I do wonder how the napkin tradition got started, but it's definitely neat, however it began.

      Delete
  3. what's a dark and stormy?? and i love big bang and bones!! i can't wait to see the season premiers! :)

    happy monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dark and stormy is ginger beer and rum. It mostly tastes like ginger ale, so it's refreshing for summer!

      Delete
  4. oh that all looks so wonderful! I especially love the little note drawer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I am follower number 10!

    That ship looks gorgeous btw - what a lovely weekend you had.

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, now I have an even number of followers! Can't wait to check out your blog :)

      Delete