Tuesday, September 4, 2012

This is my nightmare.

When I was little, my grandmother would babysit me when my daycare was closed. One of my distinct memories of those times (besides my grandmother letting me do her hair while we watched soap operas and used a fan to blow her hair back like the ladies in the soap opera openers) is when her house got infested with fleas. I was so scared and disgusted by the jumping little insects and the prospect that they might touch me that I spent an entire afternoon sitting on top of the back of her couch (the actual back; it was as far from the carpet full of death that I could get).

Fleas are a scourge. I mean, they are responsible for the Black Death.

And now they are on my kittens. My adorable kittens have betrayed me and for the last four weeks have apparently been playing host to little flea eggs just biding their time until they could hatch in my clean apartment and terrorize me.

We launched a four prong attack last night when we discovered the beasts. To the vet for flea meds, combed out the kitties, doused them in flea bath, vacuumed the apartment and sprayed all the fabrics with some kill-everything-alive spray. We also banned the kitties from the bedroom, which I felt bad about but I WILL NOT HAVE FLEAS IN MY BED. As of this morning the kittens only showed one or two fleas each when I combed them out, which is a vast improvement. Still unacceptable.

Hopefully we caught it early enough that it won't become a big problem. But honestly, that's pretty much all I remember from my Labor Day weekend. Any good memories were apparently negated by the Flea Crisis of 2012.

Well, that, and I got new shoes.



Also I tried the new Autumn Apple Chicken Salad at Cosi and loved it. Highly recommend.

Link up and share your weekend, which hopefully did not involve fleas!

No comments:

Post a Comment