Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Oh, history. You never fail to surprise me.

"Several of the Cheyennes at Lame Deer tell versions of the story of a woman pushing an awl into Custer's ears. This might be dismissed as fanciful fabrication but for the condition of Custer's body when found. It was relatively unmarked except for two bullet wounds-one to the chest and one to the side of the head-and an arrow that had been shoved up his penis."

Viola, Herman J. Little Bighorn Remembered: The Untold Story of Custer's Last Stand. New York: Times Books, 1999, 53.

I've been to the Little Bighorn. I have both master's and bachelor's in history, which means that I studied only history for six years. But never did I learn that General George Armstrong Custer (of hamper fame) was posthumously (one hopes) unmanned. Apparently that detail was not widely circulated due to respect for Custer's widow, Libby.

Dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment