Tuesday, July 3, 2012

There is such a thing as a free lunch.

As you may have guessed, I work at the Smithsonian Institution. Every year they hold a two-week celebration of different cultures known as the Folklife Festival. The best part for me is that they also hold the annual staff picnic during the festival, wherein they give us bright orange tickets which we can exchange for food. Yes! Free lunch!

Ooooh, aaahh, Folklife Festival!
Food offerings are based on the cultures spotlighted in that particular year. I bypassed the Azerbaijani stand (I'm just not that culinar-ily adventurous) and headed straight to "Community Barbecue" for a good old fashioned pulled pork sandwich, potato salad, collard greens and an Arnold Palmer.

A beautiful day on the mall. Oh wait, it's 103 degrees? I'm headed back inside then, thanks.
And then, because I am a sucker for desserts of all kinds, I hauled my butt to the other end of the festival to the "Southern Comfort Food" and queued up for peach cobbler. And queued. And queued. And queued. By far the most popular of the stands, the good people working the booth (props to them for working in a kitchen in a tent that was an oven by itself) were having trouble keeping up with the orders. All told I waited about a half an hour for what I told myself had better be the best peach cobbler I'd ever had. I mean, I had sweat dripping down my back just from standing in line and all I wanted to do was get inside and eat my lunch. As it turned out, I waited half an hour and secured a nice shoulder sunburn for this:

Peach...cobbler?
Are you serious. It was okay. The peaches weren't very sweet but the pastry was good. And it was free, so I will take it. Thank you, Smithsonian, for a free lunch and a chance to get outside and enjoy one of DC's cultural events.



No comments:

Post a Comment