Tuesday, July 17, 2012

On make-up and wearing pins with prints.

I'm leaving on a 3 or so day road trip tomorrow, and I've decided to leave my make-up behind.

That isn't very exciting news, except that when I decided I wasn't going to pack it (I'll be with a long-time friend and her infant, neither of whom is going to judge my bare face or less than stellar complexion), my first thought was, wait, maybe I should, just in case. And then I thought, just in case of what? What could happen that I would absolutely need my make-up? Am I really that attached to it that I can't go 3 days without the security of having it around, even if I'm not putting it on?

I thought I was pretty confident and had a good attitude as far as make-up goes: I enjoy it for the most part, use a bare minimum on most days, but if the mood strikes I go without. It should be something used for fun, not an obligation. Now I'm thinking maybe I use it as a bit of a security blanket. On days when I'm feeling particularly insecure, it helps me at least feel as if I'm hiding some of my flaws, real or imagined. But if I want to be a person wholly myself, confident in my own personality and intelligence, does that not mean acceptance of my own flaws? Further, does that not mean I should be able to shed any type of security blanket, and stand confident on my own, flaws and all?

I'm not saying that I want to ditch make-up for good, just that I think maybe I need a little reminder that I am the same person with as without it, and that there are a lot more important things to think about than whether I have cover-up stashed in my bag.

So I'm deliberately leaving it behind with the intention of enjoying the pieces of the world I discover on my short trip without also feeling as if I'm hiding parts of myself from them.

ALSO,

I tried to re-vamp my interest in wearing an old printed tee shirt today by wearing a pin that I placed in such a way that it interacts with the shirt pattern, and I like the result.





No comments:

Post a Comment