Saturday, July 7, 2012

Scenes from a Boyfriend-less Saturday.

B stayed at his parents' last night. And what do I do with myself when he's gone? Apparently, tinker in the kitchen and do girly things. (AND I went to the gym. Proud of that one).

It was too hot to cook, so I opted to try a new recipe for a Green Monster Spinach Smoothie from Iowa Girl Eats. It was a great way to use up the leftover spinach that was on its way out, and it didn't taste like spinach at all. In fact, it was delicious and I had it for lunch today as well. Highly recommend.



I was still hungry though. But I had two frozen bananas and some Funfetti cake mix. A quick blend and...


Banana "Ice Cream"! Seriously. Take frozen bananas (my two bananas made about two decent-sized bowls of ice cream) and a splash of milk and blend until creamy. Then you can add any flavoring you want. I had cake mix leftover from cookies I'd made and it proved to be the perfect additive. It tasted like cake mix ice cream (which, coincidentally, is one of my favorites). Tip-take your old bananas and peel and chop them BEFORE freezing. Learned the hard way.

Then, I was looking through old Glamour Magazines and came upon a recipe for blueberry cream cheese muffins. Perfect considering: I love cream cheese and blueberries, and we had two pints of blueberries that really needed to be eaten. The problem came when I opened the cream cheese and it had turned into penicillin. I don't mean to say that it was a touch moldy; it looked like a lint blanket. So I made some quick adaptations.



My adapted recipe:

7 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup Greek yogurt (blueberry in this case, but any flavor would probably work)
3 eggs (I used one egg and one half cup of egg whites)
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
pint of blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Melt butter; whisk in oil, yogurt, vanilla and eggs.
3. Mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt, then make a well in the middle.
4. Pour yogurt mixture into the well, then fold the dry ingredients in. Add the blueberries and gently mix in.
5. Spoon into baking cups or greased muffin tin (olive oil spray worked fine) and bake for 20 minutes.

They were easy and delicious. Plus, the added protein from the yogurt makes them great for a quick breakfast or morning snack.

I re-painted my toes using my smiley-faced toe spacers and settled in for a lazy afternoon before dinner and face masks with one of my best friends in the evening. The heat won't keep me down!



Displaying my new weekend uniform-leggings and a tank top. Loving it.


No comments:

Post a Comment