Friday, July 27, 2012

It's Friday, I...can't decide how I feel about the Olympics.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Olympics. (With the exception of a certain phenomenally famous swimmer who shall remain nameless who played an instrumental role in the closing of my ice rink. I have a hate/hate relationship with him and if I ever see him I hope I have the courage to punch him in his smarmy face).

But I digress. The Olympics alternatively makes me feel motivated to get out and work and then like crap because I know I don't have the discipline or work ethic to even get close to competent in any of those sports. So I will likely tune in, and then flip to Bridezillas or Beverly Hills Nannies or something that makes me feel good about myself in comparison. You know, like any person with self esteem would do.


And when I am feeling bad about myself because I am not an Olympian (and obviously I recognize that not many of us are and I'm not expected to be. Am I making myself sound crazy in this post? Probably), I will remember this:

Via

Let us not compare ourselves to Olympians, but be happy for them and remember our own personal talents. Not that mine are going to win me any gold medals, but they're perfectly sufficient.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the Olympics make me feel the same way! But I know 3 olympians and the time they put into it.... i'd much rather have my life and be happy for them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point. It's much like comparing your body to that of a celebrity-I know that yes, it's their job to look that way and they put in their time accordingly. Just like it's basically an Olympian's job to train. Unfortunately my job doesn't result in rock-hard abs or supreme athleticism...

      Delete