Thursday, January 22, 2015

What to Wear to Disney

[edit: I wrote this post when I was heading to Disney in 2014. Sadly, it is January 2015 and I'm not headed to WDW]



I'm leaving for Disney in three days! 

And I'm having trouble packing. This time around I'm only going to be there for two full days, book-ended by two half days. The problem is that it is much easier for me to pack for six days than basically two. I'm a chronic over packer. Also, I haven't been to Disney in full-on summer weather in over five years-but I remember what it's like. Boy, do I remember.  Hot, humid, and very much like my own lovely Washington, D.C. in that it is quite simply not fit for daily living. So I'm thinking that this trip I'm going to let go of any notions of fashion and embrace the probability of being a big sweaty-but-happy mess.

I've read a log of blog advice on what to wear to Disney, most of it conflicting. The real secret to choosing clothes for WDW, in my humble opinion, is to wear whatever enables you to feel you can really enjoy yourself. Maybe that means your most comfortable work-out gear. Maybe it means a dress and flip-flops. You know what you personally feel best in. Nothing ruins a day for me like constantly worrying about what I'm wearing. 

Every time I pack for WDW I find myself getting caught up in what will look good in photos, what will be most comfortable, etc., etc., and it all boils down to this: what can I put on and feel reasonably confident in, and then totally forget that I am wearing so that I can have a blast? Because after all that thought, I NEVER remember what I wore (which is good) only that I had a great time. I often don't even mind if I don't look the greatest in my photos, because I usually have a huge, beaming smile on my face and I don't care what you look like, happy looks good on anybody.
See? I got caught in a rainstorm on my way to lunch, but I was so friggin' excited to eat at Be Our Guest that I didn't even care.

This one? Sweaty. No make-up. But hey, Figment! So who cares?
That being said, I do have a few suggestions for what to pack beyond the usual "breathable cotton" and "comfortable shoes":


1. Pack extra shirts. And underwear. I usually head back to my room for an afternoon swim or nap. Once I change out of a shirt that has gotten sweaty, I personally can't bring myself to put it back on, so I'll often wear the same shorts and shoes with a clean t-shirt for a return to the parks in the evening. Yes, this means packing essentially two outfits for some days, but it is worth it when you realize that I wouldn't be able to focus on having fun while wondering if my shirt smelled like sweat all night. Don't even get me started on sweat-soaked underwear (it happens).

2. Wear the shoes you want. You'll be walking a lot. You'll be standing even more. Wear whatever means comfort in that situation for you. When I was finally old enough to choose my own footwear (my parents were always big on the athletic shoes in any walking situation), I wore flip flops, and contrary to everything I had ever been told, they didn't break and my feet felt fabulous at the end of the day. I will say, however, that they were decent flip flops, not $2 bargains meant for the pool.

3. Pack for extreme sun and extreme rain. Sunglasses are a must if you like to see. So are ponchos if you like to be dry and don't want to be making a mad dash to pay for one in the Emporium or MouseGear.


I'm sure there are plenty more tips to be had. I will amend as necessary, and you can feel free to leave yours in the comments! Now to get back to trying not to over think the current contents of my suitcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment